Ideally, every horse should undergo regular saddle fittings to ensure maximum comfort and performance. Every horse's needs should be carefully considered. Therefore, if your saddle requires repairs and/or fittings, Paramount Saddlery is proud to offer the following services to our North American clients.
Need your favourite saddle brought back to life? We work closely with many manufacturers to offer you factory-quality repairs. Paramount Saddlery is authorized to work on Ridgemount, Antares, Prestige, Childeric as well as many other brands. Most saddles can be repaired, but not all foam-filled panels can be adjusted. Ask our specialists to ensure the repair you require is possible.
Does your existing saddle fit right? Let us assess and, if possible, make your current saddle fit like it should. You can count on our extensive saddlery training and equine background. Contact us today for details on organizing a saddle fitting clinic at your stable.
A wool-flocked saddle should be assessed by a saddler at least once a year. This does not necessarily mean it will need to be reflocked every time, but the fit and condition of the saddle, including billets and other parts, should be verified.
In some cases, the saddle should be assessed more frequently. For example, a young, growing horse changes shape throughout the year, and it is extremely important to ensure the saddle is not causing any discomfort that will hinder its training. Similarly, a horse in poor condition or overweight entering a training program or a horse changing careers, (i.e., going from pleasure riding to dressage work) may develop muscles and change shape, therefore requiring more checkups. Older horses may start to lose muscle tone and the protective layer of fat over their back and spine; they, too, may benefit from more frequent examinations.
Fitting Check Points
The following are other points to look for to determine whether your saddle needs adjusting
- Balance: A proper saddle is balanced from front to back and side to side. The centre of the two panels should rest over the horse's spine and the middle of the seat should remain at the lowest part of the horse's back after you have finished riding. If the balance is off, your position will suffer and ultimately make you and your horse uncomfortable.
- Clearance: There should be adequate clearance (2 to 3 fingers) between the pommel and the horse's wither while the rider is standing in the stirrups. The withers and spine must also have space on either side. There are no concrete rules, but the distance between the panels should be at least 3 to 4 fingers wide. Certain breeds or conformation traits may require more space.
- Panels: You do not need to be an experienced saddler to determine whether or not the saddle panels have settled unevenly or become lumpy. Over time, this happens to all types of saddles regardless of panel type (i.e. wool or foam) or saddle cost. If you feel a significant irregularity such as a lump or hollowness, it is time to have a saddle fit consultation.
- Freedom of movement: Since saddles tend to settle and change gradually, riders rarely notice when their horse's movement becomes restricted.
- Soreness: Any soreness that cannot be explained needs to be examined. We can show you how to inspect your horse’s saddle area and topline.
- Noise: If you hear clicking or squeaking coming from your saddle, have it assessed immediately. Broken saddle trees are common and extremely dangerous.
Paramount Saddlery Retail Price List
|Dis/reassemble and basic inspection||$150|
|New seat foam||$350|
|New skirts (in addition to new seat)||$200|
|New flaps (does not include new pads)||$375|
|New knee pads with foam||$225|
|Stirrup bar replacement||$200|
|Billets (long or short)||$35.00 each|
|Billet relocation (includes web if required)||$85|
|Thigh/knee/calf blocks||$150 pair|
|Complete wool reflocking||$350|
|Panel wedge or gusset (includes new wool)||$600|
|Saddle tree (adjustment only)||$300|
|Saddle tree (adjustment with reflocking)||$125|
|Saddle tree repairs||starting at $225 to $300|
|Saddle tree replacement||$700|
|Shop’s hourly rate||$70|
|Consultation fee (Ontario only)||$175 per horse|
|Daily rate for clinics of 4 or more horses within Ontario||$700|
Outside of Ontario, please add travel and additional expenses.
This price list is only an estimate.
All saddles will be examined prior to final quote.
Prices do not include any applicable taxes or shipping.
Saddles will be shipped after payment has been received.
A $10 charge will be applied if a new box is required for return shipping.